Raise Hell: Makeup Rules I Break

Makeup should have no rules. Since makeup is mainly about creativity and self expression, I believe people should do whatever works for them. But unfortunately many people don't share this ideology and think that everyone should follow the makeup rules. That's just bullshit!

You should not be afraid to experiment and I honestly think the best way to get better at applying makeup is to make mistakes so you can learn what does and doesn't work for you! Everyone is so completely different! We have different skin colours, undertones, face and eye shapes, eye colours, skin types, hair colour and personal preferences. All of this affects what makeup products and styles we like. While loose guidelines can be helpful for improving technique, I firming believe in breaking the rules to find your perfect look and no one should be telling you what you can and can't do.

For this post, I read various 'makeup rules you should follow' articles and complied a list of all the things I actually do. Here are the rules I break.


Line My Lower Water Line With Black
This is in every makeup rules to follow list ever but every one that says it looks horrible can fight me, I'll never stop. They say it makes your eyes look smaller and it does but I actually like that! I guess my eyes are wide enough that I can get away with it. I find it gives my eyes and lashes a great definition that lining just the lower lash line can't achieve. This is probably my inner emo kid/scene queen talking but she'll never die and everyone will have to get over it!

Bronzer As Contour
I know bronzer is supposed to be applied to the high points of your face to give a sunkissed look and contour is supposed to be applied underneath as shadow to define but if I'm wearing all warm tones, it just looks weird to use a cool toned contour. So I often use a bronzer to contour as I need a little bit of darkness to define my round face.

Bold Eyes and Bold Lips
Most people will tell you to choose one feature to highlight  but I honestly do not care. I'll go bold with both my eyes and lips if I want to! I love colourful eye shadow and I actually do not like nude lipsticks. I only have 2 nudey lipsticks that I like. All the others I've tried just haven't looked good on me. So if I go ham with my eye look, I pair it with either a dark vampy lip, a bold red or an usual colour like teal. If I'm wearing a more toned down eye look, I go with a sheer lip gloss.

Liquid Over Powder
Typically you use powders in order to set liquids and yes I do this most of the time. But the world will not end if you put your liquids over powder. I like to use liquid highlighter and if I powder over the top of it, it just takes away all the shine. So I'll dab it on over the top of my setting powder. Some formulas do not work for this at all though, so I like a thicker, less oily consistency that won't break up any product underneath it.

Mascara On Lower Lashes
I feel like this rule is a bit outdated but I know many people will say you should focus your mascara application to just the top lashes to really accentuate them. I find that I look unbalanced if I don't add a little something to bottom lashes. I tend to add just a little mainly at the roots otherwise they can look spidery and too heavy.

Certain Colours For Certain Seasons
This is also one that seems to be fading but it's still fairly relevant. I tend to hear phrases like 'this palette contains light, pastel shades so it's perfect for spring!' or 'This lipstick is a dark berry red, it's great for winter!' I've never paid any attention to that at all! I'll wear any colour in any season. I also don't really pay attention to seasonal collections either. This all comes down to the fact that I live in Australia and most makeup companies are American. So when they're releasing a summer collection, it's our winter (and by winter I mean it gets below 20C and we all start bitching that it's freezing!)

Shimmers In The Crease
You can pry my glittery transition shade from my cold, dead hands! I understand that you should use mattes in the crease to give definition and contour your eyes but most people act like its completely unacceptable to use shimmers in the crease. It honestly looks amazing and I really think people should not be afraid to experiment.

Lip Liner
I never use it. Honestly I don't see the point especially with liquid lipsticks. I actually do not even own a single lip liner since I strongly believe a good lipstick doesn't need a lip liner and it should be able to perform well by itself. Many, many people will tell you that you absolutely must line your lips but I don't find it necessary.


Comments

Popular Posts