Every Month Is Pride Month: The LGBT Tag

So Pride Month was almost a month ago now but I do not care. As a member of the LGBT+ community, every single month is pride month and I will always be proud of who I am, not just in one arbitrary month. So I'm going to do the LGBT tag and answer a few questions.


What do you identify as?
At this current time, I identify as bisexual. Although this will probably change at some point! I've always been quite fluid with labels. I've identified as pansexual, bisexual and gay in the past but at the moment bi fits me best. My actual sexuality has never changed, just how I choose to identify as. If I had to describe my sexuality, I would say that I'm attracted to pretty much anyone regardless of physical sex or gender orientation but I have a preference for women. I guess I'm technically pansexual by definition but to me, it's pretty much the same thing. I just prefer the bisexual label. I do still call myself gay or a lesbian a lot though.


How did you discover your sexuality?

This question is basically just how did you know you were gay reworded. I don't know, I just knew! I've always liked girls even as a kid. I always thought they were super pretty and beautiful and as I got older I realised it went deeper than that.

Who was the first person you told?

If I remember correctly, the first person I told was a co-worker who was around the same age as me. We didn't know each other that well but we were friends so she felt safe to tell. She didn't make it a big deal which I really appreciated. 

Describe what it was like coming out
I never had a defining coming out moment. Like I never sat down with my family and said 'hey I'm gay.' I guess I just slowly started becoming more open about my sexuality. I never wanted to make a big deal of it. Now that I'm completely out thought it's a bit different. I got a rainbow tattooed on me with 'love wins' underneath, I'm always wearing some kind of rainbow accessory and I'll probably make a hundred gay jokes in any conversation.

If you’re out, How did your parents/guardians/friends react when you told them?
My parents and most of my friends were really chill when they found out. I always knew my parents would be fine, they were always very outspoken on LGBT rights and such. My high school English teacher was always really supportive of me. He always let me write essays about the LGBT community and actually encouraged me to do so. Almost every one was really positive and never treated me differently.
But it wasn't all smooth sailing.
I had a few people I was friends with in high school stop talking to me once they found out. One such friend stopped talking to me after I told her I had a crush on her. She led me on for months, saying that she would date me but then when I actually asked her out, she ghosted me. She only started speaking to me again once I was in a relationship. I don't necessarily think she's a bad person for feeling confused but I think she was definitely using me to inflate her own ego. This friend even outed me to this guy I barely knew and he had a go at me in the school library. Thanks for that.
My aunt and uncle are both pretty homophobic and basically ignore my existence now that I'm out. They're not outwardly homophobic, they're not the type of people to go on huge rants and spew hatred in that way. But it's all the little things. It's changing the subject whenever LGBT related things come up in conversation, it's treated their son differently to his siblings for his entire life because he's gay.
To end this positively, most of the people in my life have had nothing but kind to me and have supported me. I decided to end my relationship with all that didn't. I've surrounded myself with those who love me and accept me for who I am.

What is one question you hate people asking about your sexuality?
I don't hate most questions. I actually like when people ask questions because most of the time, they just don't know. I'd rather people ask questions than be ignorant or just go with what they assume is right. But I don't like when people ask about personal things that really are none of their business. For example things like; 'You're bi?! Have you dated a girl before? Have you SLEPT with a girl? Would you have a threesome with a guy and a girl?' THAT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Knowing my sexuality does not give you the right to pry into my sex life. 
Also one thing I get a lot and really hate is when people find out that my best friend is a lesbian and always assume that we must be sleeping together or want to sleep together. No, two lesbians are perfectly capable of a platonic relationship, thank you. She's beautiful and amazing but we're practically sisters so I honestly have never thought of her that way.


Whats your favourite thing about the LGBT community?
I don't really know how to answer this to be honest. There's a lot of good and bad things. But I'll guess I'll say that I love that the majority of the community is just so loving and accepting. At the few Pride events I've gone to in my city, it just feels so safe and everyone is really fun and kind.

Have you ever been to a gay bar?
I never have! I only know of two in my city, one of which I've been warned to stay away from other LGBT people because it's just full of gay men and straight women. So there's not much for me as a gay woman. I'd like to go to the other one though, I've heard good things! Especially since Willam, my favourite drag queen is supposedly performing there soon.

Who is your favorite LGBT Icon/Advocate/Celebrity?
I can't pick just one so there's a list!
Ellen Page
David Bowie
Alan Cumming
Stephanie Beatriz
Missy Higgins
Billie Joe Armstrong
Stephen Fry
Penny Wong
Jessica Origliasso
Kimberly Clark
Richard O'Brien
Laverne Cox
Also shout out to my best friend and my boss who are my favourite lesbians.

Have you been in a relationship and how did you meet?
While I'm currently single, I have been in a few relationships. I'm not going to go into my whole dating history but I'll discuss it a bit. I met this girl on Tinder and we dated for a couple of months but we never really clicked. Since we broke up, I've been on a few dates and am currently talking to a few people but nothing serious.


Have you ever faced discrimination?

Of course. I've had people yelling at me and call me names in the street and in school. I've had people say all kinds of horrible things about the LGBT community. It happens and you kinda just learn to deal with it.

Your Favorite LGBT movie or show?
I love Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert despite its flaws. I also recently watched Love, Simon and I absolutely adored that, it was so cute. For TV shows, I love Queer Eye even though it's super cheesy and over the top. I just can't watch that show without a huge smile on my face or crying! My favourite of the Fab 5 is Tan just FIY! Grace and Frankie is another good one although I've only watched the first season.


The most ridiculous thing you’ve heard about LGBT community?
I've heard some pretty ridiculous shit. I guess the one I hear most often and hate the most is that you choose your sexuality. I won't even get into that because we know it's not true. Also they are a lot of people who believe that all homophobes are secretly gay themselves but I think that's bullshit. It may be true in some cases but its not the majority.


The LGBT slur you hate the most?
I've decided to not answer this question. All slurs are awful and I don't even want to type them out. I don't think this question is productive at all.

End this on something you’d like to tell the world about LGBT
What I have to say is simple:
We're normal people. Please treat us like it. Please treat us with respect and allow us to live our lives as we wish. Love is love, Love will always conquer hate.




Comments

Popular Posts